Tuesday, February 4, 2014

E N G L I S H

I had a couple of fantastic English classes with the girls today. Last year, I played a lot of hangman after class with the boys who caught onto the alphabet quickly, and today I introduced it to the girls to give them more experience with spelling. I have mostly focused on communication exercises previously, but today they really started paying attention to sounds and spelling. It was so much fun, and they best success of the day was that a very shy girl finally participated with a smile on her face. They never wanted the class to end, but I finally had to pack up when lunch was served. I think we had a big breakthrough with their spelling today!
In the afternoon, I had to study for my online class and I a learning a lot about teaching English as a second language. For every module I finish, I have to write two essays on that particular topic. It is great to already have personal experiences to draw from. My last essays were on classroom arrangement and having multilevel students in my classroom. 

Last week I discovered that one of the 8 year old boys can barely write. I spent some time yesterday having him copy letters and words to improve. I wonder what his story is and why he is so far behind in school. I'll do my best to help him catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment