Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cow heart, soccer balls & baby Jesus

 







I have been staying with my friends here in Lima, but they had a guest from Colorado who flew in late Wednesday night and early next morning the whole group flew off to Cusco for 4 days. I could have gone, but ticket prices are pretty high when you get them last minute, and I would like to go for a little longer when I do go next time. I always suffer from insomnia and get sick when I am there due to the altitude, so I decided to stay back this time. Used my time to study, laundry and go for long walks. Logging lots of step on my pedometer since I had plenty of time to explore the area where I am staying. The photos above are some of the amazing views I am blessed to see on my daily walks. I am grateful I don't have to pile on three layers of clothing to go outside like I would have if I was still in AK. Their temperatures dropped pretty low this past week. At least that is what most FB posts tell me...
Although I thoroughly enjoyed my solitude for a few days, I was so happy to see everybody again on Sunday night! They had lots of stories to tell about the Christmas party they had prepared for about 150 kids. I have to admit I was a little disappointed I missed that...
It was their guest's last night before flying back home early the next morning, so we all went out for dinner before he had to go to the airport. We went to a famous American restaurant, but I don't think I will have their burgers again, if I do come back. I'll stick with the pasta dish next time. I guess there were a couple Peruvian celebrities at the table right next to us, an actor and a singer, but I was clueless until someone pointed them out to me of course.
Sunday was also the day when I tried cow heart. It wasn't that bad at all, to my surprise. A little chewy.

Cow heart
Tomorrow we are all heading to Huacho, where I will be living after the holidays. We are leaving early in the morning, in a rental car loaded with Christmas presents, and are coming back Friday. I get to see "my boy" Jose, whom I met 2 years ago for the first time and have been sponsoring since. He was 12 then, almost 15 now, and I can't wait to spend more time with him. I braved the department store today to find him a soccer ball for Christmas - success. I was even able to get their membership discount when the lady behind me was nice enough to offer me her membership card, so I got the ball for half price - $8. And they wrapped it for me. I wasn't looking forward to trying to figure out how to wrap a ball... but now I know how!










Today on my walk I found this life size nativity scene in one of the parks. Very nice, but there was no child... I wonder if they will put it out later, or if someone perhaps stole Jesus??

No comments:

Post a Comment