Friday, December 21, 2012

Short visit to Huacho

On Wednesday we headed to Huacho in a rental car. Kevin had gone on the bus the day before to visit his family so there was room for me. The weather is a lot warmer and sunnier than in Lima, and it was nice to get some more color on my face, arms and legs! This is my third time to Huacho and I was so excited to see the kids again, especially my boy Jose. We were going to the orphanage in the evening when they were getting out of school, but right when we got there, we found out that government officials were there so we couldn't get in and had to wait 24 more hours before seeing them. I had to tell myself - what is one more day when I have waited over a year?
I met the family that I am renting a room from starting in January. I bought and dropped off a mattress and I will need to get a fan b/c summers get pretty hot there and it already felt like a sauna in there. The 2 kids, 15 and 10, will help me with my Spanish and I will try to teach them English. It's a good trade.

My new neighborhood and mattress
Saturday was our Christmas party for the kids; took them out for dinner, showed a movie, read the Christmas story and handed out presents. It was so good to see the kids that I remember from the previous years and also some new ones, but especially Jose. I can hardly believe how big he is getting!! Not just in age, but for a Peruvian he is pretty large. We sat together during dinner and did our best to communicate about life and compared scars! Turns out we both have scars on our arms from getting cut on glass. We also sat together on the floor in the room back at the orphanage when the movie was playing. He put his head on my shoulder and his hand on my arm, and I will cherish that moment forever. Not many 14 year old boys would do that when his buddies are around. I am so thankful to be here! This morning we drove back to Lima very early. I am anxious for the holidays to be over so I can get back there again!!
Jose

No comments:

Post a Comment