Sunday, December 9, 2012

Wrapping, wrapping and wrapping some more...

Slept great, because I slept in one of the rooms facing away from the high-traffic road - haven't adjusted to the city noices quite yet, and had a really relaxing morning listening to a great teaching on Genesis online. My church in Homer doesn't post the teaching until later this week, but I found one on You tube. Later I went to the store to buy a newspaper and food and brought it to the park for a picnic. Struggled reading through the travel section of the paper without using a dictionary, just to practise my reading comprehension. It was difficult but fun, and I felt like I was just like one of the locals hanging out in the park on a Sunday afternoon. Talking with a man that had lived in Europe for awhile and he wanted to discuss religion with me. His English was very poor but he did speak French, so we had a long conversation in a mix of French, Spanish and of course a little English... I knew studying French would come in handy one day!!


When I got home it was time for the elves in Santa's workshop to get busy. There were seven of us wrapping for over 5 hours, and we still have a few more toys to wrap next week. We all had a lot of fun and I got to practise Spanish and the other elves practised their English. Lots of talking and laughter. I am so glad I get to be part of all these Christmas preparations. I won't have a white Christmas, but I think this will be a good one!
Later tonight I got to S kype with
a few friends from Homer. It was great to hear their voices again and catch up on what's been going on with them this last week. I miss them, but not the weather - ice!! It is supposed to be summer here in Lima but the winter haze is stubbornly lingering so the sun can't break through.It will be here soon though and I am looking forward to feeling the warmth of the sun once again.                             

No comments:

Post a Comment