Thursday, February 7, 2013

Do talk to strangers

I'm meeting more people here! They actually have started talking to me. After the girl's class this morning. I went with my housemate R to the fruitmarket. As I was picking out my fruit, a Peruvian lady spoke to me in English & asked where I was from. I answered her in Spanish and we continued the rest of the conversation in Spanish. Her husband is from CA and he really wants to go visit AK, but she told me she thinks it will be too cold. She knew what street I live on so she must have seen me around, but I have to admit I only understood about 85 % of what she was saying. Later this afternoon when I went to get some groceries, I was stopped by an older gentleman in a mint green moto. I met him a few days ago when I was making copies in the marketplace and we spoke a little that day. He had asked me if I was Russian. Now he gave me his number if I ever wanted a tourguide to take me around town. Very friendly fellow and he seems to be good friends with the the ladies across the street from me. He has the only mint colored moto in town as far as I know, so easy to spot.
When I am in Lima I always loved to talk to strangers, but up until now, it hasn't happened much here. I have missed meeting new people. Several years ago I moved to a small native village in South East AK, and it took me almost a year to feel like I belonged. Things are looking up for me here!
PS. I found turkey hotdogs in the store today, and ate my first hotdogs since last summer! Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment