Thursday, February 14, 2013

Feliz dia de san Valentine

Happy Valentine´s Day / Grattis pa Alla Hjartans Day
This morning I had a class with the girls and I got a couple Valentine´s notes from a few of them...
Afterwards I took the bus to Lima and my very first Taxi ride to the apartment. Had to pay a dollar more than usual, but I didn´t want to stand around in the neighborhood by the bustation with my luggage longer than necessary, so I took the first cab who was willing to take me. It can sometimes be hard to find a cab here in Lima. Don´t get me wrong, they are everywhere, but often when you tell them where you want to go, you are met with a headshake and they take off. They don´t want to go to a certain area for whatever reason. Maybe they are making their way home and it would be out of the way, maybe they are on their way to lunch or dinner, or it could be they have a nice cab and don´t want to risk going to a shady neighborhood etc... Other cabs tell you a really high price, so you either negotiate with them to see if you can lower the rate or move on to the next. Makes taking taxis a small adventure in Lima. Being a gringa makes the price go up a little too sometimes.
My Peruvian girlsfriends were out enjoying this Day of Love with their boyfriends, but my friend H from the US/Cusco was in town and we had a great girl´s night. I have been craving a good steak since I came to Peru and when in Lima I always walk by this one restaurant with yummy photos of delicious pieces of meat on a giant menu. We decided tonight was a special occasion enough to splurge a few extra dollars and have steak. Happy Valentine´s to me! It was soooo good. Peruvian meat and great quality.
Might have to come back one more time before leaving Peru. My favorite beverage, if I eat out here, is frozen lemonade. It is so refreshing. Whenever I visited before, I was always too nervous to order anything with ice in it, but I was missing out. I have gotten much braver when it comes to food the longer I am here. We ended our girl´s night with a funny but gory movie, so I don´t dare recommend it here...

No comments:

Post a Comment