Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Movie night with the kids

Arrived at the boy's place this morning, but they were gone. Only one of the older boys was there with the psychologist. After they were done, I had him to myself for almost an hour and we did a private lesson. It was great, because he is my best student and picks things up very quickly, and I think he gets a little bored when we are moving along to slowly. We labeled everything we could find in the room and pictures on the walls to build his vocabulary, for example, bench v/s sofa, window, glass, shelf/shelves, bag v/s backpack, puzzle, roof v/s ceiling etc. Toward the end, the rest of the boys returned from the beach, so I got to spend a few minutes with the rest of them. Reviewed a little English with those who wanted to before they it was time for their lunch.
Today I got some errands done, made copies, dropped my laundry off, exchange money and met up with the team for lunch. They had gone to Sayan to hand out bread and pray for people. I can't express how great it is to have the team here and to see a couple of people from home. I love spending time with the kids, but it is twice as fun when you can share the joy with someone else who feel the same about them. H. came with the team, (she is living in Cusco studying Spanish and volunteering) and we went together to the boy's soccer practise. It was here first time in a moto and it was fun to see her enjoy the speedy ride. The boys had told me 3 or 3:30pm, but when we got there at 3:45, they still hadn't made it. Waited about 30 min, but decided to walk back home, assuming they must have changed their plans. When we were almost by my house we spotted them walking on a sidestreet. They were walking to the stadium, almost an hour late. Oh well! We joined them and watched them play for a couple of hours. Had to hurry back so they could wash up and eat dinner before we all went to the movies. All 62 of us, teachers, kids and the team went and we filled up about half the theater. I got to sit next to the birthday boy F. He turned 12 today and he is the cutest little bugger in the world. I was so impressed with him. Throughout the movie, he had a little girl, maybe 4 or 5 years old climbing in his lap and distracting him from the movie, but he was so patient and loving with her. The older kids are so good with taking care of the younger ones. I am amazed how kindhearted a lot of them are after what they have been through. Sure, some fight like all siblings do, but they truly are family to each other. It was a wonderful night and the kids got to see a movie about whales and Alaska. I had to explain to a lot of them that my hometown doesn't look like Barrow, with all that snow and ice. They were in awe of all the ice.
Went to the hotel with the team after our very late dinner. Want to spend as much time as possible with them while they are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment