Friday, February 8, 2013

"I don't have 11 toes"

I was scheduled to teach the boys today at 11am, but when I got there, none of them were there. I asked the lady who was in the office if I could come back at 3pm, since I was scheduled with the girls at 4pm and she thought that would be OK. Luckily it worked out and I got to teach about 13 of them, while the rest were doing their laundry. They bring out water and tubs and they scrub them by hand.
In class we tackled small sentences: I have..., You have..., Do you have...?, No, I don't have..., Yes, I have... It was a lot of fun to give them something practical to use the words they have been learning. "I have 2 eyes." "I don't have 3 ears." One of the boys came up and said to me in perfect English "I love you", and it was not something we have been practising, so it was a big nice surprise for me to hear!! What a sweetheart!
Saturdays are usually a day when we don't have any classes scheduled, but the director had told me to ask and see what the plans are the day before, to see if I can come. We are shooting for tomorrow at 2pm, because they are having visitors between 3-5pm. Maybe some kind of city officials making a visit?
I miss my boys when I don't get to see them everyday. School starts in 3 weeks and I am curious how much time I'll get with them then. I am assuming they will have homework and other things taking up most of their time, but I'll set something up with the director.
I hope the older kids will impress their English teachers in school. Quite a few of them have made a lot of progress... It would be a blast to help out in the classrooms if I can set it up somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment