Saturday, January 26, 2013

Agua

I have lived many years in houses and apartments with the wonderful convenience of being able to turn on a faucet and drink clean water whenever I was thirsty. I have also lived in places where I had no water, but had to either pay a water truck to deliver it, or haul it myself in jugs from the harbor, downtown or friend´s houses. When you have it available to you at all times, it is easy to take it for granted. If you don´t have access to it, you learn to conserve it and treasure it.
Preparing to come to Peru, knowing that drinking from the faucet here would most likely get me sick, I researched water purifying devices. My dental hygienist, and avid camper, informed me about a "pen" or "wand" used by campers to purify water with ultra violet light. Just fill up a container with water, push a button and stir it around. When the green button comes on, it is clean enough to drink. Sounds like magic to me. It is hard to trust something we don´t understand. My roommate was as sceptical as I was when I asked for advice if I should buy it or not, but I ordered one...
I´ve now been here for 2 months and I´ve avoided using it from fear it wouldn´t do what the instruction manual claimed it would do and I would end up sick. Instead I have been buying and hauling water bottles from the store almost every day. Today I decided to take a leap of faith and try "my magic pen."
How many times do we chose to, at great cost, haul our heavy burdens around, because we are too scared to trust in God? The one who loves us and gave himself to us, but a God who is sometimes hard to understand because His ways are not our ways. Things that are difficult couldn´t possibly be good...? Will He really do what He said He would do? I have to confess, during the many years of struggles I experienced, I asked my self that a lot. It is easy to trust Him when things are going well in our lives but we can trust Him always.
I want to have BIG faith, in every area of my life. I want to give him all my burdens and worries and let Him carry it.
Whether this "magic pen" can clean my water for me or not, I don´t know yet, but I do know I believe in a God that is trustworthy. He has proven himself faithful over and over in my life, in the big and small things.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight". Prov. 3:5-6
"Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life". John 4:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment