Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lima visit

Some of the older boys have been showing off their knowledge of certain sentences these last couple of days and I love following their instructions after our class, when they are shouting out: "STAND UP, SIT DOWN, JUMP, POINT TO THE TABLE" etc... They seem pretty stoked that I understand them, but today I made a happy discovery, when one of the littlest guys, who sometimes attend class, spoke up and said "Touch your nose, point to the chair". It was the first time I had heard him say anything in English and it wasn´t just a word, it was whole sentences!! I was so proud of him. Things are sticking in their minds!!

After class I ran to the mall for a quick bite to eat, and I was trying to figure out the best and safest way to get to the busstation to go to Lima. As I was walking home, I happened to run into my taxidriver friend, and was able to arrange for him to pick me up in 10 min. Perfect timing! I am so thankful he came with me because once we arrived at the station I was pretty much mobbed by different bus companies yelling at me to come with them and yanking on the strap to my bag. Luckily my friend had a firm grip on my bag until we figured out what bus to get on. I never had a chance to figure out about tickets or anything, they practically shoved me up the stairs of the bus, and before I even found a seat, the bus backed out of the station. Pheww.... Didn´t know where in Lima I was going to be dropped off, but at least I was on my way to the right city. Thankfully, my dear Peruvian friends figured out at what station to pick me up when I gave them the name of the bus company, printed on the back of every chair and curtain. I got sucked into watching a movie as we got closer to Lima, even though it was in Spanish, but we arrived when it still had maybe 10 minutes left and the screens went black. Now I will have to find it in English and watch the whole thing over again.

My friend from Homer arrived last weekend and it was great to catch up with him. It is our third time together in Peru and it was great to have him join us for a month.
Tonight we had a birthday party for a friend who turned 20 years old and we got a cake for him. So far I haven´t found a cake I´ve been super impressed with and we have tried a big selection of them with all the holidays and parties we have had the last couple of months. They look pretty fancy on the outside, but something is "missing" when I try them. Did find a chocolate mousse to die for though!

No comments:

Post a Comment