Thursday, January 31, 2013

Hippopotamus

When I was a little girl, living in Sweden, I had the privilege to begin to learn English in 3rd grade, a year before my classmates, due to the fact that I had and American father. One of my most vivid memories from that class, which consisted of the teacher and one other student, was the day I learned the word hippopotamus. In Swedish, it is just a boring word, Flodhast, which translates to Riverhorse. But hippopotamus on the other hand, is like having a party in your mouth. I remember saying the word all day long, and eventually sharing what it meant with my other classmates.
Well, today one of the girls asked me, while we were at the football stadium watching the boys practise soccer all afternoon, how to say hippo in English. As soon as I said the word, all the girls started laughing hysterically, and they made me repeat it over and over again, and each time it was followed by loud giggles. It brought me back to the time when I was a little girl, just like they are, when I first began the journey to understand a new, different language.
Each new word of we learn, is like a key that opens another door, bringing us closer and closer to finding a treasure. The treasure is a place where connections and relationships are made. A place where I can become a part of a different life, culture and people. It is so exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment