Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"My name is Jessica"

The girls have started practising volleyball in the mornings a few days/week, so I will not be able to see them Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for our English classes. I only had the boys today and we worked a little on "My name is Jessica, what is your name?" "My name is..." Most of them did great, others were really shy about responding. After class a bunch of them thought it was hilarious to run around shouting "My name is Jessica". It was absolutely adorable...
Got some disappointing news that things from Homer, that I had been hoping for, never made it to my friend who flew to Lima today. Mostly school supplies, but also some personal belongings I was looking forward to. I was surprised how it dampened my mood for most of the day. Despite the fact that I love being here, there are still things from AK that I miss very much, spending time with old friends, Thai food, walking in the snow, pizza staff meetings @COTR, for example. Getting a letter from home or even just seeing an old beat up Toyota or Dodge truck on the street really excites me! Maybe that is why I felt so gloomy when I found out I wasn´t getting the things from home... I also had a dream about 2 good friends last night which made me miss them quite a bit.
I took a long walk on the beach in the late afternoon and felt much better. When I´ve felt stressed, sad, mad or confused in the past, being close to the ocean always helped me refocus and feel peaceful again. The two years I spent landlocked in Utah was difficult for me, but since I managed to escape to the coast of California a couple of times, I survived even those years. I love that live only a couple blocks from the water now. And things are just things.

No comments:

Post a Comment