Tuesday, January 22, 2013

TaeBo and Tallarin

I have been craving a great workout for weeks and yesterday I splurged $11.80 on a day pass to one of the nice gyms here in Lima. A ridiculous price for the economy here, but I got my money´s worth.
Warmed up on the treadmill, did some weights for about 40 min, more cardio on the treadmill and then I noticed the big gym was empty after the Pilates class, so I went in to do a bunch of crunches and stretching. Right when I was about to leave, people started trickling in for the next class and everybody started encouraging me to stay for the class. I have always wanted to try a Taebo class, and I might even have a couple old VHS tapes from a yard sale somewhere in my storage in Homer.
The teacher convinced me to stay. My poor muscles were pushed way past exhaustion and my legs were extremely sore today, but it was a total blast. I was regretting the previous crunches because the class ended with 10 minutes of crunches. Man, I would have abs of steel if I could come here every week!

This morning E´s brother came over to practise his English. It was fun getting to know him a little better. We also go to spend the evening with the rest of their family, and I finally got my lesson in how to make Tallarin. E´s family owns a restaurant at the bottom floor of their house, and they make amazing Peruvian and Chinese food. As we were driving over there, about 10 min from our apartment, in the middle of rush hour traffic, we ran out of gas. Luckily we were only a few blocks from the gasstation and we could push the car over onto the sidewalk... Life in Peru is just one big adventure for sure! Never know what is going to happen. By the time we finally made it to the restaurant, and after watching the skillful cooking by E´s Father, I was ready to eat my megaplate of delicious noodles. We burned off some calories by playing volleyboll on the street with her niece. I managed to ruin the fun when one of my shots landed the ball on the balcony of one of the neighbors. Oops! I was reassured they would get the ball back tomorrow, but I felt terrible for ruining the fun. Came home late, but with a full belly!

No comments:

Post a Comment