Thursday, January 10, 2013

First day of class

Yesterday I didn't see the kids, and I missed them terribly. I ran around and did some errands. Managed to find the fruit market all by myself, must have been my built-in "fruit radar" helping me out.  Bought some mangos, kiwis, bananas, pears and passionfruits, all that for a couple bucks!! Fruitsalad, coming up!
Spent the rest of the day reading a book I got from one of the girls on the Nome team. She moved down here for a few months too, but didn't plan to teach English, so it will come to better use with me!! It's called English in A ction and it is so helpful with prepping for classes. I was a bit nervous since I am not a teacher. I really don't know what I am doing, but after reading some of the instructions in that book, I felt a lot more confident that I can do this. I'll try to make it as fun as possible.
Today was Day 1 as an English teacher. Started off with 20 girls and moved on to teach 17 boys. It was fun and time flew by. I must have been nervous still, because my mouth was as dry as a cottonball when I was done. Note to self; bring a waterbottle!
To get them used to hearing the English language and participate, I am starting out with a few of them in chairs and I start with giving a command, for example "Stand up". Then I show them what I want them to do, and then I motion that I want them to do the same. Other commands we practised today was "Sit down", "Jump", "Turn around", "Walk" and "Stop". I can tell some of them are picking it up much quicker than others and I wish I could break them into smaller groups right away, but since I am alone, we'll make do with the big groups.
Later this afternoon I got up the courage to leave the house with my phone and found a cafe with Internet. While I ate my lunch I spoke with mom on V iber and a couple of friends in AK. It was nice to catch-up, and I didn't get robbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment